Why do the Braves all wear the same uniform? To identify that they are all on the same team.
Why do married people wear wedding rings? To symbolize their commitment to a partner.
Why do Christians get baptized? To go public with our faith in Jesus Christ. In the same way, church membership identifies your willingness to formally and publicly align with the vision, mission and beliefs of Southland Church.
Here are just a few of the many reasons for having formal membership:
1) Formal membership is valuable to the leaders of the church as they guide the church body. We have been put here to reach the uncommitted, the unbelievers, the unchurched. But as some point it is important to identify those who truly comprise the “family” at Southland, the core that can be counted on to build and sustain the ministries of the church. These committed “family members” should receive priority in the allocation of finite church resources as commanded in Galatians 6:10.
2) Everyone can participate in just about anything that Southland Church has to offer, however there are certain leadership responsibilities that are reserved for those who have made themselves accountable to the church through membership. Even if you are not ready to be a leader yourself, you may be relieved to know that those members in leadership positions have agreed through membership to support this ministry and to be held accountable.
3) The term “church member” is not found in scripture, but it is implicit all throughout the New Testament. Believers clearly identified themselves with a specific local body and were challenged to become devoted participants.
4) Experience shows that membership benefits the individual. Membership is an important step that moves each of us off the sidelines and into the game.
How Do I Become A Member?
- Download Membership Covenant and Faith and Practice or obtain them at the Information Booth in the lobby.
- Complete the Membership Covenant and return it to a Staff Pastor, Elder, Community Group Leader, or the representative at the Information Booth in the lobby.
- One of the church staff will contact you to schedule you to meet with a Staff Pastor and be formally welcomed as a member of Southland Church.